Social and Spiritual Organization of the Sumtrhang Choeje
The Foundation and its Objectives
Bhutan Nyö Foundation is registered with the Commission for Religious Organizations (CRO) in October 2017 under the Religious Organization’s Act of Bhutan. It is an organizational body and a charity society of the Sumtrhang Monastery which was first founded by Nyö Gyelwa Lhanangpa and his son Nyöton Trulzhig Choje in the 1220s, and sustained by its successive line of hereditary incumbents called the Sumtrhang Choeje . The Foundation is aimed at working towards conservation and preservation of ancient spiritual thoughts and the cultural heritage of the kingdom.
Nyö Foundation of Bhutan is founded with aims & Objective:
- To restore Sumthrang Monastery and revive its spiritual and cultural education by developing the monastery into a centre for spiritual and cultural education.
- To sustain the continued promotion of Buddhist teachings in general and Sumthrang’s traditional Vajra Kilaya practice and research in specific.
- To preserve and promote culture and its heritage, both tangible and intangible in Bhutan to sustain indigenous tradition and cultural values of Bhutan based on Buddhist principles to foster enlightened societies through documentation, research, education and development.
- To promote green and organic initiatives to foster an environmentally enlightened and agriculturally organic society in Bhutan through Buddhist principles of co-existence with non-human spirits and nature.
- To promote conversion of religious and spiritual voluntarism into social benefit as a part of spiritual path and practice through socially benevolent activities in the Bhutanese communities.